Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month

For anyone who knows me, they know I love working with children!  I always have, and I always knew that when "I grew up" I would work with children.  Somewhere along the way, I started working with children with special needs. And although at times it was very challenging and scary for me, I soon found out that I completely loved it!  Every child that I work with holds a special place in my heart and that's no different for children with Down syndrome.  I love working with children with Down syndrome!  I feel so blessed to be in a profession where I get to work with such amazing children and see the growth they make each day, month, summer break, or year.  In an effort to help educate others about different syndromes, disorders, areas of development, etc, I wanted to post about different awareness months/days. This month is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month!  The National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) has a GREAT article on their website that talks about different ways to get involved!  I searched for a Buddy Walk in our area and it looks like there was one in South Jordan last month! (Bummer!)  However, if you have family in any of the surrounding western states here are the dates for upcoming walks (some states also had their walks in September):
If you would like to look up any other states, go to the link above to search.  

The National Association for Down Syndrome has a great list of ways to get involved or share information with others!  The National Down Syndrome Congress has great information and resources on their website as well.  There are really so many resources out there, so search the internet or check your local areas for ways to promote Down syndrome awareness!  

No comments:

Post a Comment